May 26, 2010

I give up. I will no longer be forcing myself to read books that just don't grab me anymore. I felt so guilty (and still do) about giving up on reading Ulysses but what's the point of reading a book you just can't stand? So no more! If it doesn't grab me in the first 100 pages or so, I'm returning it to the library from where hence it came.

Case in point, Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. U.G.H. Ugh. I just don't like it at all. Frankly the imagery of Colonel Brandon is disturbing. He's got tentacles like an octopus on his face and has slime and makes a mucusy sound when he breathes. It really turns my stomach. So I'm going to return it to the library where there is a waiting list. It took me two months to be able to get this book. I'm sure that there is some other soul that will love reading this but it's honestly not for me.

Instead I'm going to start Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. It's been on the best seller list so I'm hoping that it will be a good book. I'm the type of person that usually loves the movies that the critics hate so I'm hoping that since everyone seems to love this book, that I won't have the opposite reaction. Only one way to find out.
I finished One Second After by William Forstchen last night. I think out of all the post apocalyptic books that I've been reading lately, this one has the most realistic portrayal of what will happen to this country if we're ever hit by a EMP. Gave me a lot to think about. Makes me wonder if I should be reading these types of books. Scary what could happen when our world just stops and we have to revert to living like they did 150 or so years ago without all the technology.
I haven't done any additional sewing or knitting of any kind since I finished my top on Monday. I wore the new grey linen skirt to work yesterday and really loved it. It was very comfortable but as linen does, it wrinkled a lot. But I love the skirt. I love the way it moved when I walked and how comfortable it was when I was sitting. I was worried about what top to wear with it but I ended up picking up a new v-neck t-shirt from Target the other night and it looked really cute with the skirt. Plus the t-shirt was only $8! Love that!
I did, however, order a bunch of fabric from DenverFabrics.com on Saturday. I ordered enough fabric for two shirts, a dress, a jacket and slacks. I think my wardrobe will be expanding a lot with me sewing clothes. I can't wait for it to get here. I feel like that lady in the old Mervyns ad's, "Open, open, open." But it's more like, "Hurry, hurry, hurry!" with me. I just need to keep reminding myself that good things come to those who wait.

No comments: