April 2, 2011

KniCroBlo Week, Day 6: Something to Aspire to.

See these socks?

© Interweave

I want to make these socks soooo badly. I can cast on. I can turn a heel. I can decrease I can bind off but the one thing I can't do is do the color work. I don't know how, but I so want to learn. I'd love to make these socks for my Gram.

Goal number 5 for 2011 is learn to do color work. And goal number 6 is to knit 2 pairs of socks from Around the World in Knitted Socks for Gram. These socks are from that book. I could do two goals for 2011 in one pair of socks.

Color work is scary. Two yarns. People with thingies on their fingers. I don't know.


My mom gave me Mastering Color Knitting by Melissa Leapman for my birthday. I really want to do some of the projects from this book but I really need to finish a couple other things before I start doing any color work. And really, it's time for me to challenge myself in my knitting. All the basics I feel that I've pretty much mastered. So it's time. And socks might be a good thing to start with, small project that wouldn't be too much of an investment in yarn or time to determine if I even want to keep going with color work.

I don't know who I'm trying to convience...me or you.

1 comment:

Thimbleanna said...

Well, you convinced me! Those socks are beautiful. I've done "color work" many years ago, although I didn't know that's what it was called. I probably didn't do a lot of things correctly, I just followed a pattern. As gorgeous as your knitting is, I don't think color work will be any problem for you!