April 27, 2011

After one of my runs last week when I could barely run at all due to the pain in my knees, I finally made a doctors appt. The appt was on Thursday before we left for our Yosemite trip. I'd been suspecting that I had runners knee which is basically that the muscles on the sides of the knee are under developed. The pain has been in my knee caps vs. the joint and since I hadn't had a fall or twisted the knee, I didn't think it was a joint problem.

After the doctor examined my knees and we talked about the amount and type of pain that I'd been having, she came to the same conclusion that I had, runners knee. She gave me some exercises that I need to do and I have an appt today with a physical therapist. She also has me on 600mg ibuprofen and rest.

I'm trying not to feel like someone died about this. I was so divested about this last week that I can't describe the feeling. Now I'm looking at it as an opportunity to get stronger so I can run faster. I'm really looking forward to running again. I'm looking forward to it so much that I dream about it at nights. I dream of races and of the feeling that I get of being strong and happy when I run. Running makes me feel so great that I dream about it. I think that means I'm a sick person.

Doctor said 1 to 2 weeks of rest until there is no pain and then I can start running again. I am really looking forward to that day.

No comments: