December 16, 2010

Z for Zachariah...
I'm re-reading Z for Zachariah. It's a teen sci-fi book and it's the first book I can remember reading when I was a kid that was a post apocalyptic book. Whenever I think about this book I get an image in my head of a clear, clean pond with an outlet and where the stream coming out of the pond merges with the river the grass dies and there is nothing living in the water. That image has been one that I couldn't get out of my head since I first read this book way back in junior high school.
For a long time I couldn't remember what the name of the the book was but when I finally figured it out, I quickly requested it from the library. The author, Robert C. O'Brien also wrote Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nihm. I never read Mrs. Frisby but I do remember the movie when I was a kid and how much it scared me. The images from the animated movie have stuck with me through out my life and have also remained images that just wouldn't leave and struck a cord with me. I'm going to have to see if the library has Mrs. Frisby and read the book.
There is just not enough hours in the day to be able to read all the books I want to read, knit all the patterns I want to knit, sew up all the quilts that I want to sew or do all the outdoor activities that I want to do. Sometimes it's really hard to choose!

No comments: