December 24, 2010

One fantastic thing about reading children's books is how fast you can read them. Yesterday I knew I was going to finish The Handmaids Tale by Margret Atwood, so I grabbed Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. The traffic was so light that my commute that normally takes about 45 min's, only took about 25. Since I had extra time, I started reading Mrs. Frisby while I sat in the parking lot at work. This book is about 230 pages of large print with a few illustrations.

I've never read this book before but I did see the movie when I was a little kid. The movie was pretty scary and I remember Jenner the rat being mean and scary but the book wasn't really like the movie at all, it was better. The whole time I was reading it, I felt very apprehensive because of the movie. But it was a very sweet, well told tale of a mouse who needs help to save her child and the unlikely assistance that she receives from an unexpected source. The tale is heartwarming but for me it left me wanting to know more about the rats and what happened after they left the farm. For this reason, I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on my review.


Since I have to work today, even though it's Christmas Eve, I grabbed a new book to read on my lunch break. I chose The City Of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. It's also a children's book. Again I got to work early this morning because traffic is so light so I started reading it in the parking lot (no point in going to my desk early). I got through about 30 pages or so in about 15 min's so I'm looking forward to my breaks to see what is going to happen.
I also expect to finish The Happiness Project tonight too. I've really been enjoying reading this and it's lead me to thinking about my own happiness so I expect to really get something out of this book. Personal growth is always a good thing.
So that's it for now. Merry Christmas Eve!

No comments: