December 20, 2010

Well I guess there is one good thing about being sick for a week...you have plenty of time to read because you can't do anything else.

I finished Z for Zachariah. This book is pretty quick to read, doesn't take much in depth thought to get through this book. The end was different then I remember when I read this book for the first time way back in middle school. But over all, this was a good book.

Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse by Victor Gischler...not what I expected at all. My first thought based on the name alone was that this book was going to be stupid. But instead I found interesting characters, a good story line and believable reactions to a world gone crazy. But I do have to say that this is a book aimed a teenage readers and I was very surprised that it would contain such a graphic sex scene. My little sister is almost 15 and I would not have been comfortable with her reading this book...well, at least the sex scene part, the rest she would have been fine but still. I'm not sure I would recommend it for younger teen readers.

World War Z by Max Brooks...I waited and waited and itched to get my hands on this book. And when I finally got my chance I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed. It's a collection of "first hand accounts" of the Zombie war from various people from all over the world. I didn't mind the style but just when I'd start to be interested in the story, it would be over. I wanted something more in depth then what the author provided.
I was home sick starting last Wednesday and the only reason I left the house on Saturday was because I ran out of library books. I picked up two more library books, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nihm by the same author as Z for Zachariah and The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. I think I'm about 50% of the way through The Happiness Project and am really enjoying. The back cover compares this book to books like Eat, Pray, Love which I've also ready but I think this book is way more relate able then Eat, Pray, Love. This book is about how to change your life without running away to another country. Most people honestly can't afford to move to Italy, Bali and India. So far I've really like the parts about how to make your marriage happier. No matter how happy your marriage is, it can always be happier.

3 comments:

Victor Gischler said...

Lisa,

Thanks for reading (a google alert brought me to your blog.) But who is aiming the novel at teenage readers? If there is a local book store doing this you might want to correct them. I promise I wrote it with adults in mind ... although perhaps the juvenile adult in all of us. Ha. In any case, thank for giving the book a try.

Victor Gischler

Lisa said...

Thanks for your comment, Mr. Gischler!

Actually my local library has it marked as "Teen Science Fiction" which suprised me since it wasn't marked that way in their catalog. I gave your book 4 out of 4 stars on my goodreads.com review which is pretty rare for me. I think I only have one or two other books that rated as high. One of those books is The Stand by Stephen King and to be honest, this is the book that I judge all other post apolyptic books on.

I really enjoyed Go-Go Girls of the Apocolypse and look forward to reading some of your other novels. Again, thanks for your comment I have to admit that I was pretty stoked to get comment from a famous author. Keep up the good work.

Lisa

Victor Gischler said...

Understood, Lisa. And thanks again for reading. I'll tell my wife you said I was a "famous" author. Maybe I'll finally get some respect around the house.

Victor