November 16, 2010

On Veterans Day, Hubbs and I decided to make a day of it. We so rarely ever get the chance (or are willing to spend the money) to go to the movies. We got popcorn, candy and huge sodas and laughed our butts off to Due Date staring Robert Downey Jr and Zach Galifianakis. It was so funny and a great way to spend the morning. Plus as a bonus the theater wasn't packed so it was really nice.

After the movies we decided to spend the afternoon at Sutters Fort State Historic Park in downtown Sacramento. It was a beautiful fall day, perfect for exploring Sacramento.

I work my Coffee with Cream Jacket that I finished at the beginning of October. This jacket has gotten a lot of wear since I finished. I wear it at least a couple of times a week.

Naturally I was fascinated by the huge spinning wheels and the yarn swifts on display.

And the wool carders.

The walls were very thick and high. But because the fort is now in the middle of the city it was hard to imagine what it must have been like for the people that lived here. I can't imagine what it would have looked like outside of the walls with nothing but wilderness for hundreds of miles.

My favorite part (after the spinning wheels) was the duck pond outside of the fort. I loved this turtle trying to sun itself in the weak fall afternoon sunshine.
The ducks seems to be enjoying the water.

I dared Hubbs to try to catch one of the ducks but the ducks were having no part in it. After about 1 second Hubbs gave up and the ducks went back to cleaning themselves.
I really enjoyed finally getting to see Sutters Fort. It's only a few blocks from my old office building but I never got the chance to get there to to see it. I moved to Sacramento almost 7 years ago. I guess I just get around to seeing things in my own good time.
Since Hubbs and I have been visiting a lot of state parks this year, I really need to print out a list and cross them off as we visit them. Maybe we can see all of them sooner or later.

No comments: