February 17, 2012

Book #20 of 2012...

Tales of Mystery and Terror by Arthur Conan Doyle


From Goodreads.com:

This volume presents some of Conan Doyle s unduly neglected masterworks. Each begins in a quietly factual way, making all the more dramatic the crescendo of fear and puzzlement that ensues as each new circumstance is revealed. Even without his supremely logical brain child, Sherlock Holmes, Conan Doyle shows that his tales are unbeatable for thrills and excitement. This is a great opportunity for the listener to discover a new facet of this master s ability to mystify and enthrall.


My take:

3 out of 5 stars. This is a collection of short "camp fire" stories. I'm sure they were pretty scary when they were originally published but by modern standards they're pretty tame. I enjoyed most of the stories by my favorite was The Brazilian Cat and The Lost Special. I think this would be great "scary" stories to read to children. I don't think it would freak them out but it would be fun to see if they could figure out the endings before you got there.

No comments: