September 13, 2011

Book# 68 for 2011...

Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban




From Goodreads.com:


A brilliant, unique, and completely realized work of fiction, "Riddley Walker"--first published in 1980--is set in a remote future in a post-nuclear holocaust England (Inland), where humanity has regressed to an iron-age, semi-literate state, represented by a language created especially by Hoban for the book.




My take:


1 out of 5 stars. I didn't read much of this book. The phonetic spelling that the author chose to write this book in made it really hard for me to read it. I get that it's supposed to be the first written word in 100's of years but I just couldn't get into the story because I spent so much time trying to figure out what each and every word was supposed to be. I gave up after about 60 pages of trying to muddle through.




This book is on the list for my 50 book challenge but since I finished the challenge on the book I posted about yesterday, I didn't really feel like bothering to try to force myself to keep reading a book that I just wasn't enjoying. Ah the joys of a library book...don't like, return it and check out a new book. No money outta pocket (not counting the property taxes I pay to support this type of public service).

No comments: