July 20, 2011

Hard work spotlights the character of people; some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses and some don’t turn up at all.
-Sam Ewing, humorist

Oh my gosh, what a weekend. I’m so tired I need another day off to recover from my days off. And that’s after I went home early from work on Friday. Here it is Wednesday and I’m still trying to finish a post about last weekend. Good grief.

We were slow and I was feeling blah on Friday so I took the afternoon off. Ran home, had lunch, a glass of wine, watched some TV, and then took a nap. Glorious, just glorious. But that was the end of my relaxing for the weekend. I ran Bridge to 10k, Week 2, day 1 on Friday. Good run, actually great run. I could have lived without the horrible head wind that resulted every time I turned toward the west, but other than that the temps were in the low 70’s and there were no weirdo’s and no dogs.

Saturday Hubby and I drove the 2 hours over to my mom’s house and replaced a fence for her that was falling down. We also visited with my Grandmother for a while. I had knit her a pair and a half of socks for Mothers Day and I finally finished the second one. I also had knit her an additional pair of socks and surprised her with that. It’s always good to see my grandmother. We stayed for dinner and then drove the 2 hours back home. It makes for a really long day with all the driving and the physical activity and then the driving again. But the visit with my family was good.

Sunday began in a very relaxed state. Got up at 7am, Hubby suggested we go out for breakfast. Hit our favorite breakfast spot, Cassidy’s in Elk Grove. I got the 2 egg, hash browns and whole wheat toast breakfast for $2.99. Huge breakfast for $3! After that we did the grocery shopping and then I started working my garden. I was out there for a few hours, filled the yard waste call almost to the top. Got Hubby to pull down the satellite dish that we no longer use since we got cable and he helped my move a bunch of pots from around the front of the house to the back. Then for some insane reason I decided to trim the rose bushes in front of the house which lead to me cleaning out the flower beds in the front too. I didn’t finish that part because the grass was touching my legs and I was getting so itchy that I was about to lose my mind. So I went in showered and then started on the inside chores. Laundry, my dreaded foe, as well as cleaning the kitchen. Ugh. But I also gave myself a pedicure and a manicure which I really needed.

I never did finish the inside chores because Hubbs wanted to run some errands in town so off we went. He needed a light weight sleeping bag for an upcoming camping trip. After going to three places we finally found him one and I found a running skirt. Right now I only have one and have been hand washing it after my runs so I can wear it again. It gets pretty gross by the end of the week. Everywhere we went I checked to see if they have running skirts but only Sports Authority had one. It’s a pink Nike skirt but it doesn’t go with my baby pink top so now I’m on the lookout for a new white shirt. I’m hoping that with the new article in Runners World about women’s running fashion more places locally will start to carry more women’s fashion. Shorts are ok but I feel more comfortable with my hind end covered by the skirt.

Sunday I also ran Bridge to 10k, Week 2, Day 2. It was a horrible run. I had pain in my right knee and around my ankle bone on the inside of my left leg. I wasn’t able to focus on anything other than the pain the entire run. I couldn’t wait for it to be over.

I was exhausted on Monday. Took a cat nap after work. I never do that but man was I tired. This week is the beginning of my new work schedule. Since it’s summer time, it’s getting too hot for training runs in the evening after work. Thankfully my boss is super flexible and she allowed me to change my hours on Tuesdays & Thursdays to 8:30 – 5pm. This allows me to get up at 4:30 or 4:45 and still have my training run in the morning. My regular hours, 7:30 to 4pm, don’t allow for that morning run. I’m still working those hours on Monday, Wednesday & Friday. It makes for a weird work week and I definitely have to know what day of the week it is all the time.

Yesterday morning, I finished up week 2 of B210k. It was my first morning run. I discovered two things; 1. It’s dark at 4:45am and 2. Not all the street lights are on at that time. There were quite a few very dark sections. Otherwise, the run was great. 60 degrees, no real wind and no pain. That’s a win, win, win for me. Sometimes in the afternoons the winds come out of the west so hard it feels like it’s pushing me backwards. Ugh. Headwinds suck.

Tomorrow is the beginning of week 3. It’s a 17 minuet run, 1 minute walk repeated 3 times. The run sections are 2 minutes longer then week 2 but I don’t think it’s going to be a problem. Honestly this far I haven’t felt too challenged by the run program unless I’m having an off day or pain or something. The only thing I don’t like is just about the time I get into a really good grove it’s time for a break. I’ve been tempted to run through the break but I’m afraid that I’ll burn myself out. I’m trying to trust the program and just go with it. I don’t want an injury from pushing too hard.

No comments: