March 5, 2010

Sorry I disappeared for a while but things got a little crazy here at the Dropped Stitch house. I was working crazy long hours and weekends at work and then my great aunt passed away so I had to dash off to Eastern Alabama for a week. It was a crazy whirl wind trip but it was great to spend time with my mom and my cousin.

Here is the photo high lights of the trip. We ate at Cracker Barrel in Atlanta. Our flight was late leaving Sacramento and they had to hold our flight in Phoenix so there was no lunch, we were starving by the time we hit Atlanta.

Of course we had to take a couple of minuets to sit in the rockers at Cracker Barrel. I loved the little store that was attached to the restaurant and could have easily brought home one of everything in the store.

We finally arrived in Roanoke Alabama around 10:30 local time and went directly to our Aunts house where we met up with my uncle. It was good to see him. I hadn't seen him in a couple of years since he lives in Oregon near my dad.

This is my Aunts house. It was bought by my Aunt and my grandfather for their parents some time in the 40's. It's on about 75 acres. When they bought it it had been cleared for planting. My great grand parents were share croppers and this would have been the first piece of land they ever owned. The house is about 100 years old and falling down. It needs major repair work.

You can't tell by the pictures but it's cold. Real cold. Our day time temps were in the mid 30's most of the time. It had snowed the week before we arrived.

There were thousands of daffodils in the yard. Most weren't blooming yet. But in a couple more weeks it would have been magical.

There was a huge chestnut tree on the property. The spiny pods were unbelievable. They looked like hedgehogs to me.


This was a house, just outside of the city limits. No one lived there but it was a neat old house. We played a practical joke on my little cousin who wasn't with us by telling her this was Miss Ever's house.

The corners of the house were held up with stacked rocks. It looked like it would blow over in a strong wind.

The old chimney was beautiful but also leaning badly.


The four of us got our first taste of Fried Dill Pickles! It was love at first bite!

Yum! Fried dill pickles, mozzarella sticks and onion rings!

Me at the city limits.

We had lots of cleaning up to do. My Aunts house was stacked to the ceilings in some places with old magazines, ton's of fabric scraps, vintage handbags, old hats and tons of various stuff. We filled two giant garbage bin. We also have a 10 foot by 10 foot storage unit full of family things we couldn't bare to part with, not to mention the other things that we had a garage sale with.
It was a crazy week and I'm glad to be home. Hopefully things will calm down some around here. I have a few finished objects that I want to show you. I just need five minuets to photograph them! Hopefully I can get that done today.

2 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Wow, what a job! Sorry to hear about your great aunt. Did seeing all of her stuff change any opinions about your own stash?

I used to live in Huntsville and I loved seeing all of the really old sharecroppers houses. What an interesting history you have!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

The house on the rock base looks SO much like my Aunt Flossie's house. I've got pictures of us on a porch very similar to that one, only she lived in or around Elba, Alabama (can't remember the exact location). Weird. Seeing that picture brought back some great memories.