February 18, 2010

Well, I'm not sure I'm every going to finish Ulysses by James Joyce. This book is a really tough read and the first one that I've had to renew at the library. It's due back on the 23rd and I don't think I'm going to finish it by then. I'm slightly less then half way through. It's going to need a 2nd renew. This is the toughest book I think I've ever read and I rarely meet a book that I don't like in one way or another. It's just a tough read.

The formatting is weird, there's no quotation marks and the sentences are very choppy and hard to read. 90% of the time I'm not sure who's talking and this far (except for some not so nice comments about the queen of England) I'm not at all sure why this book was banned. From what I understand from my cube neighbor at work, apparently the main character, Mr. Bloom, has an affair but thus far, I've only read one mention of the mysterious lady and her letter that she wrote to Mr. Bloom. It seems like all Bloom does is walk around town and drink in pubs.

At this point I'm just hoping to finish this book soon! Hubbs keeps suggesting that I give up and move on to the next book, the final book. But I'm not sure I can except defeat. I really want to finish even though I don't really like the book or understand it. I decided that after this list is done I'm going to read the top 10 post apocalyptic books. It's a great list that includes Planet of the Apes, I am Legend & The Postman. I loved these movies and I'm sure the books will be even better, they usually are.

1 comment:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Some of the classics are just tough. If I never see "The Red Badge of Courage" again in my lifetime, I'll be a happy camper.