March 12, 2009


Soooo excited!!

Last November I went out to the garage to jump on my Harley to head off to work. I got all my leathers on, scarf, helmet, gloves...you get the idea, and jumped on the bike. I turned the ignition, hit the starter and got click, click, click. Hmmm, bike no starty? Uh oh. Being the girl that I am, I tried again and got the same result. I get off the bike, pull off my face mask, pull out my ear plugs, open the door and call for Hubbs. He comes out, I explain and then he tries to start it. Click, click, click, bike still no starty. I start to sweat, Hubbs starts to swear and I start to really sweat. Hubbs seems to think it's the battery but after some further investigation it turns out that the stater (read alternator for you non-motorcycle people) had died. Funny thing to me was that I rode the day before to work and back and had no indication that there was any problem. Bike never hesitated to start or made any funny noises or anything. I guess after I got home the night before, the stater just decided that after daily use for the last five years that it was done. I'm just glad that it happened at home and not at work, in the dark, 30 miles from home.

Normally I ride as long as the ground is dry and it's above freezing. Hubbs rides year round and I have no desire to even try to compete with that. He doesn't care if it's raining, snowing, hailing...whatever. He's crazy. As a general rule my riding season is from early April through Thanksgiving. After the Holiday it's usually too cold or wet for me to feel safe. This year my season ended a bit earlier then normal by a few weeks. Ever since the stater went out my bikes been sitting in the garage. Hubbs moved it from it's normal spot by the door to the other side of the garage. Poor baby, it's covered in dust and god knows what since I never go to the other side of the garage.

For the last couple of months I've been asking Hubbs when he expects to be able to get it fixed. We have the part that we need and have had if for over a month, yet she sits. I'm a bad motorcycle mama. Last weekend I was talking to my mom on the phone and she asked if my bike was fixed yet. Sadly I had to say no but Hubbs was sitting in the same room and over heard my conversation. As soon as I got off the phone with my mom, he called his friend that is a Harley mechanic and we now have a date to get it fixed!!! March 21st or 22nd Butch is coming over to do the work on my bike. I can't wait to get it back.

The weather here has been very spring like over the last couple of weeks and I feel the itch to get back on the bike. Not only is it a pleasure to commute on the bike vs my truck but I can fill the tank on the bike for $10 vs $50 in my truck. Not that I'm complaining about the cost of gas. Last year it was costing me over $100 to fill my truck every week just to go to work. Last night I filled the truck for a bit over $40 and that's with a $.25 off each gallon coupon. My bike gets 50mph and my truck? I don't even know. I usually go about 300 miles before I have to fill up. It's a 30 gallon tank and I usually put in about 25 gallons. So that's...hold on, I'm not good at math. I need a calculator. That's like 12 miles to the gallon. Yikes, but what do you want for a 19 year-old truck with a V8? In the warmer months I hardly drive the truck. It never gets driven during the week because I commute on the bike and I generally only drive it once or twice on the weekends to get grocery's or run errands that I can't do on the bike.

1 comment:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Alternators quake in fear of me. I am an alternator killer! I don't know what it is, but I can burn through them.