February 24, 2009

Good Grief, what a day!

Yesterday was one of those days that you're just glad when it's over. I woke up 15 min's late, ran around, grabbed a shower, grabbed some food, and ran out the door. Thankfully, I didn't forget my purse or my lunch. BUT on the way to work, I noticed that my truck was running a bit warm, not hot or over heating but warm and my heater isn't working. So naturally being the cold blooded person I am, I'm freezing because the heater is blowing cold air and I'm afraid to turn the heater off because it might cause the truck to over heat. The first gas station I pull into I couldn't find the water so I had to jump back onto the highway and keep going. In the mean time, I grabbed my phone to try to call Hubbs but every time I tried to call I kept getting a call failed message. So great, my truck is going to over heat, I'm going to end up walking down the highway in the dark and the rain to try and find a payphone to call AAA for a tow. And knowing my husband, I'd have been stopped on the highway and he wouldn't even notice as he drove right past me on his way to work.

Thankfully, it didn't over heat and I made it to the next gas station. The first station I pulled in to had water but it cost $.75 and all I had was $.50. Great. There was another station right next to it so I go over there and they have water and it's only $.50! I have $.50!!! So I put water in the radiator, jump back in my truck, fire her up and yay! I have heat!!! And the temp gauge goes back to normal.

At this point I'm feeling pretty good about myself. I handled my own car issue without any help from Hubbs. Get to work, get my regular parking spot, so I get to work. Got my good news that I wasn't going to get a Pink Slip! Called AT&T, got my phone fixed (apparently if you leave your phone on all the time, it will lock up and you have to turn it off, remove the battery, put it back and then turn it back on to fix it). Everything is going OK. Work morning, find out that after being told that we no longer need additional information from our institutions we do need the information and have to go back and re-request the information. Sheesh, make up your mind please! Anyway, that wasn't so bad.

So finally 5:30pm rolls around and I leave work to go home, jump back into my truck, start driving home. I get a couple of blocks from work and notice that my truck is running warm again and I have no heat. Again. Now I'm worried, adding the water should have fixed the problem. I call Hubbs and let him know what's going on and he starts asking about my oil pressure. I start sweating, my truck is going on 20 years old and I know that things go wrong when you have a vehicle that old but I love her and I want to keep her. Thankfully my oil pressure is normal, so Hubbs tells me to just keep going but to stop if it gets more then warm. No problem. I make it home watching my heat and oil pressure gauges like a hawk. Oil pressure: Normal. Heat: Warm. Never got hot, just warm.

When I got home I pulled into the drive way and Hubbs was waiting for me. I pop the hood for him and he puts water into my radiator for the 2nd time in one day. After a few min's he comes back to the window and says, "You've blown a hose." Great. Now I'm worried. Hubbs hates working my truck and it usually results in a thrown tools and a great number of cuss words. To quote my Grandma, "He could make a sailor blush!" Hubbs is sure that it'll be an easy fix because the hose is close to the top and he said that it looks like it's an original hose, so at 20 years old, he's not too surprised that it blew.

Since I just spent 45 min's in the car to go 25 miles from work, I run into the house to use the bathroom and wouldn't you know it...Aunt Flow showed up too! I really think that it just must have been my day! :*( So after I deal with that business, we run up to the auto part store. They don't have the right part, naturally. But we were able to get some hose and he was able to fix my truck. I even help by holding the flash light in the right place! Go me!! See?! I'm not totally worthless when it comes to dealing with automotive problems! lol Hubbs even got it done without any cussing and with a smile in his voice. He's a good hubbs and I made sure to thank him several times last night and again this morning before I went off to work.

After all of that last night, I was so glad to just sit down on the couch and finish sewing on the binding for a quilt that I quilted over the weekend and then work on some knitting. Boy and I glad that yesterday is over. Here's to hoping that today is a better day then yesterday!

2 comments:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

What an ordeal! Here's hoping today is better!

Thimbleanna said...

Excuse me, I must go lie down ... I don't have the strength to comment -- after reading that I'm all worn out! Glad your truck is all better!