October 15, 2011

Book #80 for 2011...

Wither by Lauren DeStefano


From Goodreads.com:

Obviously, something went terribly wrong. Genetic mutations have festered, reducing human longevity to twenty-five, even less for most women. To prevent extinction, young girls are kidnapped, mated in polygamous marriages with men eager to procreate. Sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery, a recent victim of this breeding farm mentality, has vowed to break loose from its fetters; but finding allies and a safe way out is a challenge she can only hope she will survive. A dystopian fantasy series starter with wings. Editor's recommendation.


My take:

3 out of 5 stars. I didn't love or hate this book. I found it a very disturbing concept that because new generations were dying off at such a young age, the found it ok to kidnap and impregnate 13 year old girls. Blew my mind a bit and totally disturbed me. The though process for the main character, while 16 years old, was very adult and I had to keep reminding myself that these were children in this book. Really disturbing.

No comments: