May 17, 2011

Yesterday was ugly weather wise. The wind was blowing, it was in the low 60’s and very cloudy all day. Yesterday was also very stressful work wise and I was dying to get out for a run since I opted for the weekend off from running since it was Hubby and I’s 5th wedding anniversary. It sprinkled on me a tiny bit on my way home, not even enough to run my windshield wipers. When I finally got home, I was informed that the dogs were completely out of food and we needed to either go to Costco and get a bag or hit the grocery store for a little bag. I opted for a run and then to the grocery store for a little bag.

By the time I changed my clothes and got out the door it started to sprinkle. By the time I finished my warm up it was starting to rain. By the time I was about 5 min’s into my run I was wet, totally soaked. At one point there was so much rain on my glasses I considered just taking them off but I know from experience that driving rain in your eye can hurt, so I just wiped them off as best I could and kept running.

Week 5, day 2 of Couch to 5k really threw me for a loop. Day 1 was run 5, walk 3, so that was what I was expecting for Day 2. As I rounded the corner by the creek my phone dinged and said something I couldn’t understand. I assumed that it was telling me that I had 2 min’s left in my run. A few min’s later as I headed up the hill to cross Elk Hills, I turned to Hubby who was on the bike to tell him that it seemed like I should have reached the next walk section by now and either 1) I was super fast today or 2) I missed the ding that signaled the walk section (which has happened before). Right about that time my phone dinged and said, “2 minuets remaining.” What?! So here I am thinking this is a 5 minuet run and I’m fast…like Kenyan fast but no, Day 2 has pulled a fast one. It’s warm up, 8 minuet run, 5 minuet walk, 8 minuet run, cool down.

I couldn’t figure out if I accidently skipped a head to another week or what was going on. But I figured since I breezed through the first run section, I was just going to keep going. As I’m running the 2nd 8 minuet section, I’m joking with Hubby about being Kenyan fast and showing ‘em how it’s done. Yeah right, but it kept my mind off of how wet and cold I was. Mostly my hands were cold, the rest of me was nice and warm. I actually couldn’t wait for the warm up to be over so that I could run and warm up. I love runs like this. I feel twice as awesome running in the rain as I do when it’s not raining.

By the time I finished my run, my shirt was completely soaked, my hat too. My running tights weren’t all that wet but after splashing through the puddles, having muddy water and rain running down my legs my socks were soaked. The weird thing was that despite my shirt being totally soaked my sports bra was completely dry. You’d think it would have been wet too. My shoes were pretty wet but not as wet as my shirt. For some reason it took most of the rain. Also note to self: When there is chance it might rain, consider not wearing a white shirt.

Over all it was a great run. Nice pace time of 11:19, which is pretty good for me. I’ve been running in the 12’s and am looking for a 10 minuet mile when I finish the Couch to 5k program.

No comments: