May 30, 2011

I've read quite a few books since I last posted so I'm going to post them one at a time over the next few days until I'm caught up. At least when you have a family disaster you can still hide from the world in the written word. Anyway, on to the book!

The 40th book, I've read this year...


In Mile Markers, Runner’s World contributing editor Kristin Armstrong captures the ineffable and timeless beauty of running, the importance of nurturing relationships with those we love, and the significance of reflecting on our experiences. This collection considers the most important reasons women run, celebrating the inspiring passion runners have for their sport and illustrating how running fosters a vitally powerful community. With unique wit, refreshing candor, and disarming vulnerability, Armstrong shares her conviction that running is the perfect parallel for marking the milestones of life. From describing running a hard fought race with her tightly-knit group of sweat sisters, to watching her children participate in the sport for the very first time, Armstrong infuses her experiences with a perspective of hope that every moment is a chance to become a stronger, wiser, more peaceful woman. Running threads these touching stories together, and through each of them we are shown the universal undercurrents of inspiration, growth, grace, family, empowerment, and endurance.

My Take: 5 out of 5 stars. I read this when I was out for my knees. It helped me keep my spark for running alive while I was on the injured list. I love this book. It not only connected with me on the level of being a runner but also on the level of being a woman. Kristin is very rooted in family and finding time for herself. Honestly, I'm still not sure how she does it all. There were several quotes from this book that made me stop and think about my own self but one inpaticular really connected with me since I was injured at the time I read the book. "Runners are an inherently spiritual crew, having first hand experience with the concept that the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. " I love this. I have it posted on my board at work and look at it almost everyday. This is a fabulous book and I recommend it to everyone.

No comments: