April 16, 2009

Boy, a lot has been going on. Between my office moving to a new location and stuff going on at home, I'm exhausted. Last week my office was being packed up to move to our new location, we had no phones, no computers and nothing to do once your area was packed. Thankfully we were given executive leave for Thursday. I spent all day on Thursday sitting on the couch knitting. I was feeling drained anyway and the weather was crappy so it was a perfect day for me to stay in my jammies and knit to my hearts content. I finished the soap bag that I had started and started and finished some baby booties that I had been wanting to make for a friend whose baby is due in June. Pattern: Melanie's Soap Sack by Melanie Thompson
Yarn: Lily Sugar & Cream in Corn Flower
Cast on: 04/07/09
Finished: 04/08/09
Pattern: Saartje's Bootee's by Saartje de Bruijn
Yarn: Lily's Sugar & Cream in Corn Flower (I know, 3rd project with same color but I had a lot left over from the Market Bag)
Cast On: 04/08/09
Finished: 04/09/09

I also started and finished a tiny purse on the 9th too but I have failed to take pictures of it.

I think I mentioned a while back that I wanted to expand my garden for more room. Well, I got my wish. My mom came over on Thursday night and between her and I and my husband, we pushed my garden out by 16 feet and added three more raised beds. Two of the raised beds are 3 feet x 16 feet and one is 3 x 12. I have so much space now, I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with it all. I already have a ton of herbs, three tomato plants and rhubarb. One of the 3x16 beds is all flowers. I planted dahlias, zinnias and sunflowers. The second 3x16 bed has 3 dahlias in it and nothing else. I'm planning to plant lettuce in there but I have to wait for the moon to be right. I also want to plant some basil and some pole beans. The 3x12 bed has a pumpkin, a watermelon and some morning glory's in it. Now I'm just waiting for the seeds to germinate and start popping up through the soil. I can't wait!

This is where the fence was originally. There is one 3x6 bed behind the fence. I have my herbs in that bed with two tomato plants. The third plant is a cherry tomato and it's in a large pot. Here's where the fence is after we move it out 16 feet. It was on the other side of the windows by the corner of the house. Here's the new beds (please note hubby in the picture, what a goof). The two in the front are the 3x16's and the one in the back is the 3x12. The rose bush in the middle will have to be moved over to where the new gate is. It's a climbing rose and I'm planning on training it to grow over the arbor that will go on the outside of the gate and also down the fence. And here's Hubby and I on Sunday after 3 days of very hard work. We had to dig up the old fence, dig new post holes, reset the fence, build the planter boxes, dig about a million post holes to set the planter boxes, and then haul the dirt that we had delivered from around the front of the house to the back. Thank god for my mom. Without her, it would have taken a week. Plus I have to give her credit for fixing the toilet in the guest room that had been running for over a year. It's not that I couldn't or wouldn't fix the toilet I just needed my mommy to make sure the work got done. She also installed the screen door that Hubbs and I bought 3 years ago and never installed.
The good news is that the garden is done and ready for me to grow tons of yummy homegrown food for my family and friends. The bad news is that our project list for around the house still had about a million things left on it. One thing at a time, one thing at a time!

3 comments:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

When you own a house, there is ALWAYS something to do... :-)

FinnyKnits said...

I can NOT believe you did the fence and beds AND fixed a toilet all in one weekend. Plus, there you are, standing upright in that photo. Amazing!

What WILL you grow in all that space? My word. That's a great amount of room for plants. Congrats!

The Girl said...

FYI - Due to Domestic Issues, my blog has changed to http://paralegal35.blogspot.com