August 3, 2010

I've decided to give up on The Gold Coast in favor of reading Blockade Billy by Stephen King. The Gold Coast has been really hard for me to read. It's full of technical jargon and the characters don't really have any depth for to them. I've been struggling through it because I loved the first book (The Wild Shore). This book paints the future as a very bleak place that leaves no inch of earth uncovered by pavement or buildings. Sounds like a very horrible future to me. I also have the third book (Pacific Edge) at home waiting for me to read but I think I'm just going to take it back to the library and move on. After trying to read The Gold Coast and hating every second of it, I feel disillusioned by the author and I want to move on.

I started on Blockade Billy during my lunch break today. The book contains two short stories, Blockade Billy and Mortality. I finished Blockade Billy and started on Mortality within 45 min's. I love Stephen King, even the stuff I didn't really like all that much. Blockade Billy really left you hanging on and wondering how the story was going to end. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get into it since I'm not really a sports fan and stories about sports are not my thing, but it was a great read. I can't wait to see how Mortality is going to come out tomorrow. I'm sure that I'll finish it on my break tomorrow.
Edited to add: I finished Blockade Billy on my afternoon break. Mortality was excellent! Loved it. Classic Stephen King.

No comments: